Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lemon PoppySeed Upside Down Cake

Beware... this is a very dense cake but if you cut it in thinner slices it is a perfect amount.  Not much to say about this one expect it is easy to make.  My cake got pretty brown on the bottom side but it didn't taste over done, I just think the sauce started to caramelize.  My friend that tried it said I could bring this dessert anytime I wanted.  I also frosted mine with cool whip.

Cake:
1 pkg Lemon Poppyseed Bread Mix
1 egg
8 oz Sour Cream
1/2 c. water

Sauce:
1 tbsp butter
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice

Cake: Mix all ingredients together until moistened well.  Spread into lightly buttered 1 1/2 to 2 quart crockpot.

Sauce: Combine ingredients over medium heat.  Bring to a boil then pour over cake batter in crockpot. 

Cover.  Cook on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Edges will be slightly browned.

Turn off heat and let cake stand 30 minutes with cover slightly ajar to let steam escape.  When cool enough to handle, invert cake on to a serving platter.  Garnish with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment